Superfoods for Healthy Teeth
Superfoods for healthy teeth because constant eating, drinking and age take a toll on our teeth. Did you know that your smile can tell her how healthy you are? Healthy teeth and jaws translates to a pretty smile, healthy breathing, and a healthy body. Thankfully, by including a few foods to our diet, we can minimize the negative effects of harmful foods while improving oral and overall health.
What are Superfoods?
Superfoods are basically foods that contain a high amount of micronutrients to the point where the food has empirical health benefits. Most superfoods are low in calories and high in nutritional value. These foods provide a wide variety of vitamins, antioxidants and healthy fats while not adding any bad fats or processed sugars.
How Do Superfoods Impact Health?
Studies have shown superfoods can improve overall health, help to prevent cancer by binding the free radicals, reduce high blood pressure and regulate blood sugar levels. In addition, superfoods are packed with vitamins and minerals to keep your body running like a well oiled machine.
How Do Superfoods Help Teeth
Calcium! It’s one of the most important minerals for our teeth and can be found in seeds, cheese, canned salmon and yogurt. It builds strong jaws and healthy teeth. But… in order for calcium to do its job it needs phosphorus.
Phosphorus is a mineral found in superfoods such as flax, pumpkin seeds and bran.
Another beneficial super food is vitamin D. Vitamin D helps reduce inflammation that is associated with gum disease.
To ensure our bodies absorb vitamin D, we must consume it with good fats. While sunlight is the best way to absorb vitamin D, foods such as salmon, anchovies and pork loin are rich with this beneficial vitamin.
Below is a list of a few superfoods for the teeth:
- Butter, cheese and milk from grass-fed cows to ensure the nutrients were absorbed properly by the animal.
- Salmon, cod and herring that comes from the sea. Farm-raised seafood will not contain the essential nutrients.
- Animal organs are rich sources of fat-soluble vitamins A and D. Make sure the organs are from grass-fed animals.
- Egg yolks from free-range, grass-raised hens to ensure the eggs contain Vitamin D3.
- Fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and kefir have numerous positive impacts on the gut, which directly affects oral health.
To learn more about the impact of Superfoods on the body and ultimately, oral health, schedule your appointment today with the office of Dr. Abeyta in Albuquerque, NM at (505) 293-7611. Dr. Abeyta and her team practice an integrative approach in creating a beautiful smile and healthy functioning body.